POSTED BY: myHealthyOC Team on Tuesday, 19 June 2012
Ready to get dirty?
This Saturday, June 23, join fellow SoCal residents near the Irvine Lake for this summer’s mud run! If you have finally cleaned the mud out of your ears after the March event, it’s time to get dirty all over again!
The 5k run is through Oak Canyon Park and begins and ends at Irvine Lake. Besides the challenge of trudging (or running) through the mud, the course includes trails, hills, jump walls, ramps, crawl tubes, mud slide and a few new twists in case you think you are an expert. With the added test of pushing your way through nature instead of pounding on pavement or working up a sweat on a treadmill, the Irvine Lake Mud Run is a fun way to get healthy and active this weekend.
We know the health benefits of cardiovascular activity, but what will the mud do for your overall health? Well, according to spa experts, mud can …
- Alleviate aches and pains
- Reduce signs of aging
- Improve circulation
- Clear your skin and scalp
Sure, it may not be the same mud you find at the spa, but it’s probably close!
While the mud run is fun, we’re super excited for the first ever OC Titanic Tomato Toss happening in the afternoon at 2 p.m. Organizers recommend goggles (and maybe cups for the guys). Since we are myHealthyOC.com, it is our responsibility to recap the health benefits of tomatoes for your afternoon of slinging as well.
- Tomatoes are a great source of lycopene. There is tentative research that lycopene helps ward off certain cancers, but it is also linked to improved bone health.
- Tomatoes can help lower total cholesterol levels, specifically LDL or “bad cholesterol”
- Tomatoes have high levels of vitamins C, A and K, as well as potassium, all essential nutrients. Vitamin A, for example, contributes to improved vision, hair, teeth, skin and bones
- Tomatoes can help lower blood sugar levels and are great for those with diabetes or have elevated blood sugar levels.
- Tomatoes are an excellent source of chlorogenic and coumaric acid which can help fight carcinogens brought on by smoking.
This tomato fight is guaranteed to get you your three servings of tomato for the week!
Have fun and get slinging!